fk India Network Blog

Fredskorpset ( fk) , Norway implements the overarching objectives for Norway’s cooperation with the developing countries:
to contribute to permanent improvements in economic, social and political conditions for the people of developing countries, with special emphasis on aid benefiting the poorest of the poor. To this end, FK Norway shall work particularly to realise the objective of a more just world order based on fundamental human rights. With a view to this, FK Norway shall contribute to the creation of contact and cooperation between individuals, organisations and institutions in Norway and in the developing countries, based on solidarity, equality and reciprocity. The funds of FK Norway shall go to measures directed to countries that are classified by the OECD as potential recipients of official development aid (the ODA countries). Of this, at least half shall go to measures that include the Least Developed Countries (LDCs).

Tasks

As part of its objectives FK Norway shall:

* promote reciprocal learning;
* help participants to integrate their know-how and experience into their own societies;
* help to develop and strengthen civil society in developing countries;
* strengthen local organisation and democratic structures in developing countries;
* enhance the ability of the people to set and achieve their own development goals;
* promote greater participation by developing countries in international cooperation.

To perform these tasks FK Norway shall support organisations and institutions in Norway and in developing countries (partners) who collaborate through their own personnel (participants).

To this end FK Norway shall organise the recruitment and training of participants as well as various forms of collaboration among a diverse group of private and public organisations and institutions.

* in the developing countries, between Norwegian organisations and institutions and organisations and institutions in the developing countries, as well as between organisations and institutions in the developing countries which have established co-operation with Norwegian organisations and institutions (South-South co-operation),
* in Norway, between Norwegian organisations and institutions and organisations and institutions in the developing countries.

More information on Fredskorpset : www.fredskorpset.no

The blog is a creation of the Network at the National Level in INDIA to share and learn from each other. The network consists of various organisations whose link can be found on the blog.

For any information, feed back and queries, please write to us,

xfkindia@gmail.com

Thank you,

Fk India Network !

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Profile: South Participants

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgZZX2sYr6UdBau6IrshTNdmcUxluAZWeNQduc4x-HeZMIgkImE9xO9G_4aLE9DE7pdCNKqDonzp8WSV7kW-r5rkYM-pozgjPNEpfWx-AWxTt0i-v7_QVMAuMkzT0ZqobOFhyphenhyphenZ74YDo1ssA/s1600-h/n886340150_260027_7302.jpg">
Name – Rakesh Kumar N

Exchange Period - August 2003 to July 2004

Home Organisation: Centre for Social Action, Christ College, India

Host Organisation: Sund Folk High School, Norway

DoB – 26th January, 1984

Interests – Books, Traveling, Cricket.

Email ID – rakeshkumargowda@yahoo.com

Contact # - 91-80-9886016184

The exchange programme was a great experience that made me appreciate traveling and different cultures. During my stay in Norway, I was involved with Norwegian Language and Culture course at Sund fhs, Conducting seminars on various aspects of India, Working as assistant teacher in Mosvik school, working with Red Cross Refugee Guide Center, etc.

The network for FK India participants is a brilliant idea and am looking forward to interact with other participants through this blog and other forums.

Thanks,
Rakesh













Jaikumar Chandrashekar

Exchange Period : 2005 -2006


Home Organisation: Centre for Social Action, Christ College, India

Host Organisation: Sund Folk High School, Norway


Date of birth: 26.03.1984

Hobbies: Theatre, Playing badminton, cricket, research on the net

Address:
#340, Halappa Compound,
Venkatapura, Koramangala
Bangalore- 560034

Email:
jaikumar26@gmail.com

Contact Number: +919901488466

FINAL REPORT ON INFORMATION WORK

Final Report on Information Work

The information work was one phase which I really looked forward since January 2006 and had already started planning for it and the reason being, for me it was an exciting thing to share what I had gained during my stay in Norway for so long and to make my friends and others to understand how important was it for me personally.

I always was convinced that the Exchange program gives the participant ample opportunities to grow in their own capacity and with no doubt Sund was the best place to realize this aim.

When I first started my information work activity. It was a exciting moments to share all my experiences to people and to hear whoa reactions from them. I could see that they really wanted to be part of this program except when I told them they had to sacrifice a year from their academics.

The first phase of information work was carried out at Christ College, targeting the student community from the age group of 16-18 years. They were very much interested to listen to something different from their usual classroom lecturers and had many questions to ask related to Norwegian culture and its economy.

So far during my information work, I have encountered more than 1000 people with my views and expression about Norway and the exchange program and most of them had one question in common on their minds. Whey does Norway conduct such programs spending so much money?
Development aid is looked different in country like ours. They could not possibly think that this is one way that it could strengthen the relationships between north and south countries and bring about positive change among youth that constitute major part of our population.

Conducting sessions on Norway was all together a different experience for degree students at Christ College. These sessions were more interactive and challenging as they had many questions and keep them listening to you is bit hard. The topics, which I covered for these set of students, were Culture shocks and Norwegian Welfare system with a lot of interactions allowing them to ask many questions.

Apart from the formal sessions I have conducted in a formal setting, my stay in Norway at sund has equipped me with so many talents and potentials that I have a different identity all together. It has opened up many opportunity avenues for me.

I was given responsibility as Assistant Coordinator to plan, coordinate activities for the north participants from Sund at Centre for Social Action. I must admit that the main criteria to have this job was my experience and understanding of Norwegian culture and which helps the process to be much more smoother. The language at times plays a significant role in bonding the participants to work and understand each other better.

The other state of affairs where I have had prospect to play a crucial role with my experience of my stay in Norway is with the visit of different students from different universities from Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, U.S.A, CANADA.

Christ College and Centre for Social Action receives many students and faculty for orientation towards development issues and I have always been given the opportunity to interact and coordinate with the organization. This ability is definitely because of my understanding, which I gained during my stay in Norway at Sund. The cultural tolerance level and cultural differences varies from culture to culture which I was able to balance due to varied experience in Norway.

It is interesting specially when I encounter Norwegians and start speaking to them in Norsk they have a stunned expression for a moment and confused to where have they landed. I have such experiences working with students from Hist University and Oslo University.

Working with Sund students was one great experience, which I need to mention. I was considered to be assistant during the study trip, which I accepted as a privilege. It was a great time where I could interact and share how different sund was in the year 2005-2006 compared to the year 2006 –2007 in Norway.

During the 2006-2007, my contributions back to the home organisations has been up to my best level with the experiences and skills I had gained from Norway. I have tried my best to transfer it to junior fellow student volunteers. I have conducted some sessions to prepare the fk participants in the beginning. I have also conducted team building and cooperation sessions for the student’s volunteers of Centre for Social Action.

Like to also mention that I wish to continue my information work when and where ever I get a possibility to present my learning may it in schools, public places, etc.. This process will not stop just because there is no monitoring done.

All in all I would like to say that I am greatly indebted to Fredskorpset for supporting this program and my heartfelt gratitude to Sund Folk School for providing us with the best of exposure to various facets of Norwegian Culture and its system. Last but not least my home organization Christ College, Centre for Social Action, which provided me with this lifetime opportunity to be a participant in the Cultural Exchange program.


Information Work Report for the Month of July 2006

Jaikumar Chandrashekar


16/07/2006

Session to Final Year B.A (Pseco)
Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks.
Members attended – 30
Session Duration- 60 minutes.


19/07/2006

Conducted to my own class of III Pseng
Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Also discussion on YOUTH, drinking culture and one nightstand.
Members attended - 70
Session Duration- 60 minutes.


25/07/2006

Conducted to Pre university Class (PCMB)

Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Members attended – 90
Session Duration- 60 minutes.


28/07/2006

Conducted to Pre – University Class (PCMB)

Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Members attended - 85
Session Duration- 60 minutes.






Information Work Report for the Month of August 2006
Jaikumar Chandrashekar



07/8/2006

Conducted to Pre – University Class (PCMB)
Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks.
Members attended – 75
Session Duration- 60 minutes.


11/8/2006

Conducted to my own class of I FEP (B.A
)
Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Also discussion on YOUTH, drinking culture and one nightstand, SKIING.
Members attended - 70
Session Duration- 60 minutes.


14/08/2006

Conducted to Pre university Class (PCMB)

Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Members attended – 80
Session Duration- 60 minutes.


17/08/2006

Conducted to Pre – University Class(PCMB)

Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Members attended - 70
Session Duration- 60 minutes.




Information Work Report for the Month of September 2006


2/09/2006

Conducted a One-day Rural Exposure camp for the I B.A (Pseng).
Lecture on Fredskorpset, Folk School and Sharing experiences of Cultural shock.
Members attended: 35
Session Duration: 45 Minutes

16/09/2006

Conducted to my own class of I Pseng (B.A)

Topics covered included introduction to Fredskorpset, Concept of Folk High school, Screening of documentary film and sharing my personal experiences on cultural shocks
Also discussion on YOUTH, drinking culture and one nightstand, SKIING.
Members attended - 70
Session Duration- 60 minutes.




Presentation about Norway at BTM Bible Church on 15.10.2006


I was given an opportunity to share about my experiences and different cultural shocks in Norway. I specifically addressed the situation of Christianity and how people in Norway feel about Religion being a Christian Country.
The reactions were mixed from the audience and had many queries after the talk. It was challenging experience to make them understand that people can live as atheist too.



Presentation on our experiences in Norway during Fk Asia partner meeting 13/12/2006


It was a collective effort of the four-fk participants to put up a presentation of our learning in Norway including our personal project. We were able to do it in spite of 15 minutes constraint using a power point presentation, which is attached along with this report. Different partners and participants attended the meeting from Asia that is part of the Fredskorpset.
The feed back given was very positive and encouraging and they were all impressed with we learning Norwegian in 10 months period.



Photo Exhibition of our year at Sund at Christ College


This was also a collaborative creative effort of all four of us (Cheryl, Renu, Thomas) to make our experience shown to others in a colorful way. We displayed pictures of our stay in Norway. It included pictures of various stages and activities of our stay in Norway.


Presentation about Norway to friends and relatives in an informal setting.


This was an informal presentation and talk about my whole experience to all my family members and relatives through audio – visual aids.
The presentation included all topics right from talking about food, climate, religion, culture, education system, Marriage, divorce, welfare system etc.
At the end of it – they had one question – Why did you not stay back there?



Presentation about Norway to a group of 10 students from Netherlands and Tirupathi on Norwegian culture and Education


In the month of January I was selected to participate in training program on Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship organized by Better Future from Netherlands.
During this period working with Dutch and Indian Students from different background I had an opportunity to present my learning from Norway.
We all watched the video of Lofoten trip and Norwegian Education System and had discussions on various aspects related to the topic.
I could find out that there were many similarities when it comes to culture and landscape between Norway and Netherlands according to the students.


The other unique initiative I took to reach to more people with my learning’s was with the use of Internet. I used Google video as my medium to reach others. So far it has been viewed 62 times by different people across the globe and there has been 6 downloads of it.

For reference please log in to:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4580986942550867262&hl=en



This video gives an insight into the rich experiences gained by me during my 10 months stay in Norway participating in Cultural Exchange Program at Sund folk High School. There are also videos of Norwegian Folk dance available on the Internet posted by me.

The following video gives you an insight into the NORWEGIAN EDUCATION SYSTEM, which was my personal project during my stay at sund between 2005-2006.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4539756456827897293


The following video was the project done by me along with three dutch students and one of my Indian friend Rajiv. The proeject is related to Education access to Children with the help of Better future, Netherlands during January 2007 at Tirupathi

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6918149968068756511

1 comment:

Bharath Natarajan said...

It is really wonderful Jai. I missed your presentation Jai, but Though I wasn't there for your information activity camp, this writing tells your experiences, great. I felt you are presenting it right front of me. I can imagine your expression and the way you talk everything. Congrats Jai, very nice! There is no doubt about your the best fk participant that poeple tell you:) Makes me to read not just once and twice whenever I get time! Keep it up Jai. BEST Regards Bharath